Smart Lipo has transitioned into the go-to procedure for unwanted fat removal. It’s now as popular as the “lunchtime procedures” because of how quickly it can be performed and that there is minimal downtime after the procedure is complete. Here are some facts you should know about Smart Lipo.
- Though liposuction is fat removal, Smart Lipo is not for obese individuals. Smart Lipo is for removing fat deposits that have not responded to diet and exercise. This is more likely due to genes and not lifestyle. A good candidate for this procedure should be within 30% of their ideal body weight. A person should be fit, active and a non-smoker to really benefit.
- The doctor may use a saltwater-based numbing medication and a medication to control bleeding before the fat removal, tumescent liposuction. This technique works by preventing excessive blood clots, swelling and bruising.
- After injecting the mixture, the doctor will insert a hollow tube, called a cannula, into the incisions. The cannula has a laser tip that liquefies the fat. The fat can then be sucked out through the cannula with a small surgical vacuum or syringe. Melting the fat not only makes it easier to remove but it can also cut down on bruising and swelling.
- Smart Lipo can remove fat from head to toe: legs, belly, hips, chest, neck, cheeks, jawline, you name it. It makes targeted body contouring possible and can be customized to fit your needs.
- The procedure on average takes between 2-3 hours per session. Some people only need one treatment. Healing downtime can range from a few hours to a few days. Most patients are able to go back to work or regular routine within 1-2 days. Swelling usually goes down within a week.
- Wearing a compression garment is recommended for 3-6 weeks. Compression garments help to prevent seromas from forming. For the first three weeks, it’s advised to wear the garment all day. After 3 weeks, the time can be cut down to 12 hours a day.
- Results can be seen within a few days, but could also take a few months. Results can be permanent with a balance of maintaining it. Patients are advised to be vigilant with their diet and fitness routines. Though the fat will not grow back in the same area, if you gain weight it, fat will develop in other areas.
- Smart Lipo is mostly performed by plastic surgeons and dermatologists, but almost any doctor can offer liposuction without completing standardized training. Selection of the doctor and center matters. Don’t be shy, ask about the doctor’s training and experience. Pick a doctor you feel the most comfortable with. And don’t be afraid of getting a second opinion.
- When performed by an experienced doctor, Smart Lipo is a safe procedure. But remember, it’s still a surgery. The most prominent and rarest risk is a blood clot or fat clot that travels through your bloodstream to your lungs or brain. Other more common risks include bleeding, infection, bruising, skin color change, numbness, and uneven skin contours.
- Fat cells removed in liposuction might prove valuable use in the future! Fat cells are an excellent source of mesenchymal stem cells, a type of stem cell that can be programmed to create bone, muscle, cartilage, and other tissues. Some studies suggest these stem cells may be able to help people with heart disease, diabetes, and neurological diseases.
You will be in the best hands with Inspire Med Spa. Let us help you reach your goals. Sign up for a consultation with us to discuss with our experts the best procedures for you. For more information regarding Smart Lipo please visit here.